Monday, March 25, 2013

Follow Your Inner Star - Cupcakes for an American Girl Party


On the day my daughter turned 7, she also had her American Girl club.  The mom who leads the club most graciously agreed to let me send cupcakes.  So I started thinking about how I could go along with the American Girl theme of "Follow Your Inner Star."

I had seen this idea long ago on Bake It In A Cake (great tutorial there, btw) and had wanted to try it since I first saw it.  I figured that a star baked in a cupcake would be a great idea...you know...follow your *inner* star.  Our *inner* star would be *inside* the cupcake. 

I started by making a white cake batter.  Once it was made, I pulled out a cup and a half of the batter and colored it pink.  I poured it into a prepared 8 x 8 dish.


 I baked it at 350 for about 20 minutes.  I let it cool completely and then used a star cookie cutter (about an inch tall) to cut out the star shapes.



Using an edible food marker, I made two marks on the wrappers.  This way I would know where to cut the cupcake (across from dash to dash) so that the star would be visible.  This is an important step or else you may not get the star shape when you cut.


Per the instructions on Bake It In a Cake, I poured two tablespoons of the remaining white batter in before I placed the star in each cup.  I placed the stars in standing sideways to the marks on the wrapper and covered with about two more tablespoons of white batter.  I baked them at 350 until cooked through. 

After they were done, I tested a few to see how the stars came out.  Some came out really well.


Others, not so much (like the one pictured at the top of this post that I had frosted).   That happens, I suppose.

I finished them off with, of course, a red fondant star.  I used the same cutter that I had used to make the inside stars.   And a cute box adds to the look for sure!




7 comments:

  1. They are so pretty! Even reading your directions, I still have no idea how you did that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! And after thinking about it, I realized I left out a few important words explaining a step. Maybe that's why it seemed a bit confusing. I went back and added them in. Sorry about that. : )

      Delete
  2. They look great Stephanie! I've never heard of baking a cake shape inside uncooked batter. That's a fun idea! Did they taste nice and moist? I've yet to use fondant too. I hear its easier than it looks but haven't yet.

    By the way, I've just learned of a link up over at Home to 4 Kiddos called Try a New Recipe. I linked up my St. Patrick Jello post over there. Lots of fun and delicious looking food. You should link up this post for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noreen, this is the first time I have tried to bake something inside a cupcake. The site I mentioned in the post, Bake It In a Cake, is dedicated to that technique. Super fun to try! They did come out nice and moist. I was curious about that too...would the center be dry since it had been twice baked? The center came out just fine.

      Fondant is very fun to work with. I've been experimenting with it a lot lately. Making toppings with it is simple. Covering a cake with it is a bit more tricky and definitely takes a bit of practice, but still not super complicated.

      I will have to check out the link up. That sounds like fun. Your St. Patrick jello shamrocks were adorable! I saw them on your blog. Bet they would be great in Easter colors and shapes, too, for this Sunday! : )

      Delete
  3. No worries - the problem lies in my total inability to cook or bake anything complicated, not in your description. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to comment. : )