Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thomas Cupcakes


My youngest son just turned two and he absolutely LOVES Thomas.  So, naturally, we celebrated with Thomas cupcakes.  (I made a Thomas cake, too, but forgot to get a picture.  Whoops.)   I used a blue frosting as the background.  Then I used gray, white, and black fondant to make the face, eyes, and mouth.  Black edible food marker came in handy for the eyebrows, nose, and cheeks.

I used a circular cutter to make the face and a smaller cutter to make the eyes.  To shape the mouth, I used the same circular cutter that I used for the eyes and then simply cut it in half.  To make the black part of the eyes, I used a drinking straw to cut very small circles.  A small black rectangle at top was the smoke stack (or whatever it's called : ).

I served them on a standard cupcake tree.


What I would do differently next time:
- make the eyebrows more triangular in shape
- make the nose bigger
- make the cheeks bigger

Good luck!  And if you make any, send me your pics.  I would love to see any of your creations. 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Stephanie!! My little guy would LOVE this!!!! His birthday is this month!! I'll have to keep it in mind. But I've never used fondant. It looks fun!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, it really is easy. I just started working with it myself. Let me know if I can help at all. As crafty and talented as you are, I'm sure yours would come out better than mine. Happy Birthday to your little guy! : )

      Delete
    2. I didn't find the time to make these for my little guy's birthday, but I still hope to try it sometime - just for the fun of it!! ;-) Hope you all are doing well, Stephanie!! God Bless!

      Delete
    3. Happy Birthday to your little sweetie! Hope all is well with you and your family! : )

      Delete
  2. These are really cute! I just started watching The Cake Boss on netflix, and I am amazed at all the pretty things that can be made with fondant, gum paste, and modeling chocolate. cake decorating really is a form of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fondant is opening a whole new world to me with cake/cupcake decorating. I don't particularly like the taste...though my kids LOVE it. I'm looking forward to trying the gum paste soon. : )

      Delete
  3. They are perfect Stephanie! They look just like Thomas! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noreen! I had my family around me giving me tips as I went. It was very helpful to have other perspectives! : )

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to comment. : )