Sunday, May 12, 2013

A First Holy Communion Cake

So last week I posted that a friend of a friend had asked me, via text by my friend, to make the same rose cake for her daughter's First Holy Communion this weekend.  (Was that confusing enough? ; )  When I actually spoke with the woman on the phone and said, "So, you want the exact same cake?" her response was not what I expected.  "Actually, I saw this cake on Pinterest and was wondering if you could do that."  Gulp.  I've seen cakes on Pinterest.  They're usually gorgeous and very detailed.  I mean, that's why people post them, right?  She sent me the picture and I studied it.  And studied it.  And studied it some more.  I called her back and said that I thought I could pull of something similar.  It would be great learning opportunity for me.  The most important thing I learned was to store the cake out of the reach of my toddler.  Remember what happened with my practice rose cake?  Yes and that's why you can see it here in the top of my pantry.


 
 
Once covered in fondant, you have to set the cakes aside for awhile before you dowel them (put the support sticks in).  That's why I needed a safe place to put them for awhile.  I loosely covered them in plastic wrap and left the pantry open in order to keep fresh air flowing.  I didn't want the cake to absorb stale pantry air.  Going back to the dowels, I only doweled the bottom layer, using inflexible drinking straws.  The thought of using wooden dowels in a cake does not appeal to me.  I'm afraid of splinters in the cake, so inflexible drinking straws is a good alternative that a lot of people use.  To dowel the layers together for transport, I'm guessing that you would have to use a wooden dowel.  I haven't looked into that as I haven't needed to yet. 
 
 
So here is the finished product.
 

 
 
 
My favorite part of this cake is the bow.  This was really so easy to make. 
 
 
 
 
Here is an excellent tutorial for making not only this type of fondant bow, but also a Tiffany bow of fondant.  Seriously, ANYONE can do this!  It is that easy.  Give it a shot.
 
Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there!
 
 
 


 


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! You did a great job, Stephanie!! The bow is a beauty! It's just so dainty and perfect!
    I hope you had a blessed Mother's day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer! I hope you had a blessed Mother's Day as well with your beautiful family! : )

      Delete
  2. That cake is stunning! Excellent job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barbara. This was a really fun one to make! Hope all is well with you! : )

      Delete
  3. For my sister's wedding cake we put the wood dowels inside a straw for the same reason...the idea of wood and cake....anyhow, it worked great. Stacked them 8 high. Looking forward to camp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sent too soon! Beautiful cake...can you teach me that bow? God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, you should come with your daughters one day when we do the fondant. I would love to show you how to do the bow. Plus, it sounds like I have a lot to learn from you! I'd love to see a picture of your sister's wedding cake if you have one! : )

      Delete
  5. I'd love it!! I should have invited myself to cupcake camp a long time ago : ) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was chuckling reading your description of how you came to make this cake, and if I hadn't been sitting right there at the table when you were texted, I'd be SO confused. ;o)

    This is a STUNNING cake! I'm sure K was beyond thrilled when you brought it to her. :o)

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael, seriously, I had to reread it a few times myself after typing it to see if it made sense! ; )

      Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment. It was so good to see you again at J's! I hope all is well with you and your family. : )

      Delete
  7. This cake is amazing Stephanie! You should seriously go into business as a cake decorator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noreen! And, actually, my hope is to start my own business soon. I need to get a little more experience first and then hope to get it under way. Hope you are doing well! : )

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jessica. And I am a long-time admirer of YOUR cakes. Your Sound of Music cake was absolutely stunning. Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to comment. : )